[linux-audio-user] streaming web audio problems

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Jun 30 06:02:57 EDT 2005

anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 07:56:44PM -0500, e. j. branagan - the MUSE wrote:
>> anahata wrote:
>> > the music should play without the user
>> > being able to download or rewind it
>> >
>> They are fighting an impossible to win battle.
>
> Oh, I know there are ways round it, but the general idea is that the
> software invoked while viewing the web page doesn't have user controls
> to invite you to download or rewind the sound. It's all about the legal
> difference between a download and a broadcast. The BBC's "Listen Again"
> service is the same - of course there are ways of recording it and
> keeping it, but the user has to do something very deliberate to achieve
> that, like install extra software.

I highly dislike this retarded attitude.  In the end, this means
that only users with the experience to bypass such hoops do
get the priviledge to do what they want.  This is flawed
by design.  Broadcasts were always easy to record,
just flip a tape into your radio and hit record.  Its no difference
in the computer world, and it is just insane to try
and put some limitations on it.  Recording things for
later review is such a normal thing to do, why would one
want to limit it?

--
CYa,
  Mario