[linux-audio-user] Best(saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

MarC marc_lists at ramonvinyes.es
Thu Jun 30 07:10:08 EDT 2005

En/na Christoph Eckert ha escrit:

>>1) What soundcard do you recommend me? For me it's not a
>>problem to work a little bit more to win enough money but I
>>don't want to lose my time finding and testing unstable or
>>non supported drivers.
>>

>USB. Edirol devices usually work well. Or the Tascam US-122
>which has an own driver in the kernel.

Thank you! I think this is what I need.

>>Also consider that for audio work,
>>most of my time I will be running M$ windows (linux audio
>>isn't good enough for me)
>>

>Don't feed the trolls ;-) .
>
>Well, still we have to struggle sometimes and I agree that
>especially the sequencers still need some work, but OTOH for
>the hobbyist Linux audio is surely worth the try, and
>concerning quality, uhm, the audio quality is really OK.

No worries, trolls aren't interested in linux compatible soundcards ;).
I'll keep testing Linux and their audio applications and if I have an
opportunity I'll try to help to improve them... Open source is an
exciting idea but I don't like by now how *some* hackers work and I
think I can understand why most of the nowadays'companies don't invest
in this operating system.
Today I wouldn't recommend hobbyists should use Linux Audio because in
this way they will always be hobbyists... However, in my case, I've
found Linux Audio very interesting to learn a lot about the audio
software implementation (obviously because of the open source mentality)
and also for understanding what kind of things can be done (for a
user/developper point of view). But for productive work I simply can't
recommend it because Pro Tools, Reason,..., and a huge availability of
VST plugins are too far from us.

By now lets wait for the ardour and jack 1.0 release and for a stable
2.6 low-latency hardware compatible kernel...