[linux-audio-user] Best (saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

Greg Naughton gnaughto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:44:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

I used CubaseSX for a solid year for Midi and recording work, and
while everything tended to work ok, still it took me several months to
learn to use the often quirky and non-instinctive interface.  At one
point I decided to input one of my favorite challenging Beethoven
Piano pieces into the notation editor in Cubase.  I got about half way
through and saved.  When I went to re-open the project the next day
Cubase decided to apply some crazy algorithm turning the triplets into
awfully grouped 64th notes.  It was terrible.  I quit using Cubase
that day forever.

not to mention that generally I didn't like the soft-synths and
working on it gave me a kind of "icky" feeling.  I've always had a
superstition that the Windows kernel has bad vibes.

Now I use Rosegarden and Qsynth and I love them both.  And Ardour &
Jamin are great too.  The linux tools certainly have more bugs but
they often dont have the clunky & poor work-around code that is
probably necessary to get the proprietary software ready to ship
ontime.  and the bugs are predictable.  I just try to stay away from
the behavior that produces them (although this isn't always possible
;-D ).

my 2-cents,

Greg