[linux-audio-user] power down

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Mar 1 16:54:34 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 08:46 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> vector wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> > I realise this is not the place to ask such a question but rather than
> > subscribing to yet another forum I ask first just in case.
> > I have demudi working now, all except it turning the machine off. It
> > goes to shut down the last line on the screen is Power Down but then
> > it just sits there. I have to physically turn it off.
> > any ideas?
> >
> not positive, but my son sometimes gets this .... have you got apic
> enabled in the bios?

Do you mean "ACPI" maybe?

This usually means you don't have power management enabled.  It's not
Linux specific.  For example if you follow the recommendation on many
Windows audio web sites and install with the "Standard PC" HAL instead
of the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" then you get the same behavior (PC will
not power itself down, you have to turn it off).

Enabling either APM or ACPI should do it.  But, keep in mind that
enabling power management has caused latency problems in the past.  It's
possible that these issues are solved with a recent kernel.

Lee