[linux-audio-user] Behringer BCA 2000 - has anyone tried it ?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Mar 1 17:14:00 EST 2005

Spencer Russell <Spencer.Russell at oberlin.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:34:38PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>> > I think I would prefer the dial to send relative information as
>> > to what direction it's turning, so that you can have more than
>> > 127 different values controlled by one knob. It's not exceedingly
>> > difficult to take a wrapping controller and make it functionally
>> > the same, but if the encoder just stops at 0 and 127, it makes
>> > that impossible.
>>
>> Er, no, thats actually very easy, just reset its value to 1 whenever it hits
>> 0.  You can write to any controller of the BC{R,F}2000 to set its current
>> value.
>>
>> --
>> CYa,
>>   Mario
>
> Oh, I hadn't thought of sending MIDI to the controller for
> anything but moving motorized faders. Thanks Mario.

Actually, there is one more reason to do this.  You want your rotary to be
synced to application values, so that the first movement of the rotary does
not induce a click.  For instance, if I have a control with a range of 0..127
and a default value of 32, I initialize the controller the first time I setup
up things so that the first move of the rotary is correct.  If you dont do
that, the first move might suddenly jump from 32 to whatever the box thought
its default should be.  The same aplies when the control values
changes from within your application, you should let the fader box
know so that the next rotary move will not click.

--
CYa,
  Mario