[linux-audio-user] Sound (is it sound if you cant hear it?) above 22kHz

Spec specialaka at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 17:21:57 EST 2005

Hello All, just loaded CCRMA (top work all the various package
writers/modders) and am stunned by how good Linux is now at audio,
anyway some first experiences with 96kHz sampling.

was playing with Jack / jaaa and my audiophile 2496 card, was amazed to
see when I put it in
96kHz sampling mode how much sound/inaudible? noise there is at 23kHz
and above.

1. The onboard sound card via chip has vey high noise (-50db by jaaa),
and consequently there is a lot of noise at several peaks above 23kHz
and below 48kHz  (seems to be common computer self noise which can be
seen on both sound chips/cards at diff levels)

2. the audiophile much lower noise level -(-110db by jaaa), but can
still see the computer self noise signature albeit at a much lower
physical level (about 4-8 quite loud/powerful peaks above 23kHz that
fluctuate in amplitude periodically)

3. capturing the stereo out of a roland low end keyboard shows a lot of
activity above 23kHz almost as much power as below 23kHz.  Was suprised
by this. but tested and retested and it appears to be a fact.

4. pretty sure my signal path is clear coming thru mixer, as recording
guitar and voice thru mic on audiophile 96kHz shows very little activity
above 23kHz (except on voice noise sounds also very different pattern
from the computer self noise)

5. when I put the mic near the computer, I can actually record audibly
the self noise I see on just the sound card. (same peak pattern
throbbing at roughly same freqs) (wow the mic (sure sm) has quite a
response above 22kHz)

I have been having some problems anyway with an audibly loud and very
annoying approx 7900kHz freq from 2 of my (quite expensive darnit) power
supplies, but only when I connect either or both of my 2xseagate
barracuda  7200rpm hard drives.  The PSU is quiet when the drives are
not connected.  (Yes it is the PSU making the noise, I cant understand
it, is it 12v being over-used or feedback or something)

currently running on a very cheap psu which has got rid of the audible
(7.9kHz) noise???, but I have just spotted this inaudible signature

I have yet to put the other PSU's back in and see what the computer self
noise is with
each of them.  But I cant stand the 7900 whine with them so somethings
got to change...

Anyone got any suggestions on best PSU's/cases/case mods and eliminating
sound card/computer self noise (even above 23kHz).

Thanks
Paul