[linux-audio-user] Midi Cards

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Mar 2 20:31:49 EST 2005

Lee Revell wrote:
>>http://inanna.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/fluid-unpacked/
>>
>>It's 141 Megs. I (think) some hardware wavetable synths have limited
>>capacity. If so use a soft synth like fluidsynth.
>
> I believe the emu10k1's hardware synth is limited to 128MB.  It would be
> very useful if someone could trim that 141MB down to 128.

I'd really like to rearrange that soundfont and get rid of
(to me) some crap... and perhaps try to improve some of the
sounds with better samples... but every time I have tried
to use smurf over the years it just dies on me.

Are there any other tools, especially CLI ones, that could
pull apart a sf2 soundfont and put it back together ?

A CLI mode sf2compiler would be excellent... then some parts
of the procedure could be easily batched/automated.

One solution is to simply use LinuxSampler (for decent sounds)
but the likeyhood of finding free and useful gig files is near
or less than zero.

--markc