[linux-audio-user] Midi Cards

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Thu Mar 3 00:35:16 EST 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 07:03 pm, LinuxMedia wrote:
> >> How can I keep my MIDI from sounding like a cheesy video game?
> >>
> >> I suspect its my card.  What card would give me excellent/sample
> >> quality midi or playback?
> >
> > If you have an emu10k1 based card and are using the hardware
> > wavetable synth, the single best thing you can do is get a decent
> > soundfont.  The ones that come with the Windows driver all suck.
>
> This is my standard answer to that... hehe... this is the best soundfont
>   I've heard....
>
> http://inanna.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/fluid-unpacked/
>
> It's 141 Megs. I (think) some hardware wavetable synths have limited
> capacity. If so use a soft synth like fluidsynth.
>
> Rocco

What's the deal with the licensing on that? Where did it originate?
I'll break out some patches to have a look see, but if we can get a definite
call on on the legality I'll shave it down to 128MB. Breaking it into
separate Music & FX wouldn't suck. Wouldn't be GM, but that's a lowest common
denominator anyway.