[linux-audio-user] Howto record PCM (from realplayer)?

Ken Dawson kdawson at simpledevices.com
Thu Mar 3 15:48:34 EST 2005

Robert Bailey wrote:

> Jürgen Schöneberg wrote:
>
>> Hej!
>>
>> how can I record the output of the RealPlayer?
>>
>> alsa - ecasound?
>>
>> (I did not get working realplayer with jack)
>>
>> thanks for help
>>
>> Jürgen
>>

> I use mplayer
>
> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile filename     url
>
> if you have the .ram url use
>

> mplayer -playlist -dumpstream -dumpfile filename   url
>
> Bails

Hi.

Thanks for discussing this problem; I've been struggling with it for
quite a while.

When I try the dumpstream approach mentioned above,  using

    mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile filename -playlist url

(since -playlist (at least for me) seems to want an argument), I do get
a local file with the contents of the stream, but it is still in some
sort of Real-specific format, so that I need to use realplayer to listen
to it.  And, so, the original problem recurs: how do I then convert this
cached stream to .wav format?  I went to the mplayer site and downloaded
the Real-Video(/Audio?) related tgz, and tried to install it in all the
reasonable places I could think of, but got no happiness.  I'm clearly
missing something, or there must be another approach to this problem.

It's almost as if there must be some way of interposing an ALSA-aware
(and re-directable) loopback device for /dev/dsp.  I can almost taste
it, it's so close.  But my poor brain sizzles before I get the taste of
the solution. (or something).

Any insights?

/ken

/ken