[linux-audio-user] SoundFont and Patch Resource?

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Fri Mar 4 05:10:37 EST 2005

gioved?, 03 marzo 2005 alle 15:24:11, John Check ha scritto:
> Is there any sort of distribution channel set up for patches to run on all
> of the glorious linux audio apps?
>
> It would be pretty cool to have a library of cleared instruments/samples
> for the community to build on. Patches for some of the advanced synths
> could also be available.
>
> There's a lot of potential for legal issues, but I'm thinking the EFF would be
Here you'll find a GPL soundfont of a fender rhodes and an hydrogen
drumkit (simply a tar.gz of flacs with a different name):

http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/audio/instruments/lausounds/

there's also a big wav with mellotron samples, but it isn't turned into
a soundfont yet (and I don't have the time to do it)

> interested in this kind of thing.

Definitely, It would be very important to have a shared common patch set
(possibly high quality) to ship with the applications and linux
distributions (I'm thinking also to a relatively small GPL GM sf2 to ship
with timidity for example) - in this respect eawpat is a great resource,
but it is rather huge (around 30 megs IIRC) and if I'm right it lacks
some instruments. Obviously the task of creating a free high quality
GM soundfont is challenging and time consuming... but it would be a
great resource for us all. I think the right dimension for a GM
soundfont would be around 8/16 Mb, and is difficult to push 127
instruments into such small size...

Sorry for my english, I think it can be very involved at times:)

Ciao
--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089