[linux-audio-user] [music] First 3 tracks from me (gulp)

luke at chipcity.com.au luke at chipcity.com.au
Fri Mar 4 05:29:37 EST 2005

Hi,

> "Cant Beat Them" is basically a solo I recorded that I was happy with,
> with a minimal bit of arrangement wrapped around it :)   Overall, I like
> some of the sections, but the harmony parts are a bit rough (and I think
> there's some clipping there as well...)
>
> "Takes Two" is intended to sound like two guitarists playing (roughly)
> the same thing; one with a clean tone, the other with a heavy tone. I'm
> quite happy with the slow interlude in the middle of the piece.
>
> "Feeling Slow" is the most "composed" piece here - I wrote the whole
> thing out in midge (with guitar on lap) and then started trying to play
> it. I'm not totally happy with my playing in sections, but it's starting
> to come together.
>
> Comments, criticism, suggestions, chocolate; all are welcome.

I downloaded "Cant Beat Them" and "Feeling Slow".
Pretty impressive guitar playing :-)
I hope you don't mind me being blunt (I've just watched some American Idol),
You need to cut down on the downward glissandos after every guitar phrase.
Control the glissandos and place them meticulously.
Scales and Arpeggios are fine but what do you mean? More precisely: it sounds like you are playing a whole bag of stuff but there's little 'intent' or INTENT or InTeNt. It don't mean nothin'.
Obviously you are a very talented guitar player but LESS is MORE in your case :-)

I like the chord changes, unexpected->non-predictable
I like the timbre changes in the organs you use, but they are a little random and could do with some cohesion: that is, they need to be related, have something similar

composition contains 10/8 or 5/4 which is refreshing. However there needs to be a bridge in that piece that airs the congestion built up in the 5/4 bars, we are left unrewarded and you didn't do the work :-), read: there's more to do on that piece!

Hope this is constructive, if not true :-)

I was captivated.

kind regards,

Luke

--