[linux-audio-user] low latency 2.4 help - needed

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sun Mar 6 10:20:55 EST 2005

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:26:05 +0100
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I finally decided to see how well a low latency kernel will work on my
> system. I guess the best performance will be with 2.4.x, right?

I know a number of people have gotten 2.6 kernels to work, but that still
seems to be bleeding edge.  I'm still on a 2.4 kernel myself, it's been
very stable for me.

> Anyways, if someone could point me to some detailed information (pref. a
> easy-to-follow how-to) on how to patch (which patches to get from where)
> a 2.4 kernel for best possible low latency performance.

There are a number of audio distributions based on various base distros.
I really like Planet CCRMA, which is based on RedHat/Fedora.  There's
also AGNULA, which is based on Debian, I believe.  I found it much easier
to install the Planet CCRMA than to patch and rebuild everything myself.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com