[linux-audio-user] Using DDS2/3 Drives cor audio

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Sun Mar 6 21:04:05 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:43:44AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:07:33 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 09:48 -0500, Timothy Alan Gorman wrote:
> > > Just wondering if anyone has ever used a dds2 or 3 drive for audio dat...
> > > is there any software available to do this? I have a drive and would
> > > like to try it.
> > >

> > I tried this once and it didn't work.  But I didn't try very hard.  IIRC
> > some drives can do it, some can't.
>
> Thats right, also, some OSs, I'm not sure its ever been possible on linux,
> but it was on IRIX.

Yes, I've done this on Linux before.  You have to have a drive that has
audio-capable firmware.  See here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.rixon/personal/ade/dat-dds/index.html
http://www.trygve.com/playaudiodat.html
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/datfaq.htm
http://roo.emu.id.au/Software/DatAudio/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~heemsker/fup/
http://www.zianet.com/jgray/dat/index.html

I used read_dat to dump a DAT monitor tape from each of two concerts my
band played.  My drive is a:

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 01931-XXX Rev: 5AC
Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>