[linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:26:07 EST 2005

Michael Wagner wrote:

> The point is,
> that I really don't want to delve into one of these languages, only to find
> out, that I should have learned another one...
>
> So... what is the tool to use?

I second the other posters that said you may have to accept starting
somewhere and ending somewhere else.

I would however raise a flag for csound. It is well documented, stable,
highly flexible and has a large user base. Don't let it's text-based
nature scare you, it's language is quite simple and very powerful.

I tried out pd and found that I spend too much time rearranging the
graphics. Also I wasn't able to get dynamic voice allocation which is a
must-have for me and the default behaviour of csound.

If there were better docs (and I had more time) I'd see if I could get
supercollider going. It seems it has a cleaner and more modern language.

Just my .02

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte