[linux-audio-user] mplayer/jack questions

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Mon Mar 7 14:43:23 EST 2005

hi all

I'm sitting here with mplayer trying to get it to play nice with jack - but
it's not  - I'm playing an mpg

what's happening is I'm getting the error message "too many video packets in
the buffer" when I'm running jack

if I'm using gmplayer, what will happen is the audio will play with black
video for a few seconds, then that error message will pop up, the video will
come in, and the audio will drop

if i'm using mplayer from the command line, it's a little different, it
plays black and gives the error message in the xterm window and then the
video really struggles and hangs

i've been reading mplayer-user archives (not actually on the list) and I see
this described exactly the same way in reference to playing dvds a lot, but
none of the solutions I've found suggested does anything

my other option is to get multiple instances of mplayer outputting to the
different channels (and different monitors on a multiple vga card system)
without using jack...i haven't  had much luck yet with that because I don't
quite understand how you'd do that...

uhm... vitals:

gentoo 2.4.26.gentoo-r9
jack .99.0.r1