[linux-audio-user] realtime parameters ignored at Gentoo startup

Robert Persson ireneshusband at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 00:34:23 EST 2005

Thanks very much to everybody who has been helping me with this problem.

I can now confirm that the way to get realtime-lsm working on Gentoo (with a
2.6 kernel) is to put the line

     options realtime gid=n

(where n is the numeric id of the group to be allowed realtime scheduling)
into /etc/modules.d/realtime, and to put the line

     realtime

into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 if you want the realtime module loaded
at startup.

For those who don't know, the numeric id of the group will be listed
in /etc/group.  I used the kde control center put user 'robert' into group
'audio' and I give audio (numeric id = 18) realtime priveleges.  You could if
you wanted create a special group called 'realtime'.  That would make sense
if you were also doing non-audio things that needed realtime priveleges, such
as microsurgery.

Run modules-update and then run "modprobe realtime" if you want to get it
going without a reboot.

And the mlock=1 option is indeed the default and doesn't need to be specified.

Wasn't mlock how they killed Socrates?

Robert.
--
Robert Persson