[linux-audio-user] IUPUI Student Radio Station should be based on Linux

ben racher bracher at iupui.edu
Thu Mar 10 22:03:07 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm starting a student radio station at IUPUI in Indianapolis, Indiana
and I want our entire audio infrastructure to be based on Linux. I've
got a rough sense of all the apps we need and what apps to setup on
which computers, but I thought I'd run the blueprints by you guys to see
if you could give me any feedback.

Streaming/Web Server: Runs apache and icecast or the icecast mod for Apache.

Automation Computer: Runs some sort of playback program, I've been
keeping my eyes on LiveSupport http://www.campware.org/ to schedule and
automate the station when DJs aren't present.

Audio Archive: File Server for our digital library, probably all FLAC
files, maybe Ogg, but I think we want FLAC in case we want to burn CDs.

And this is the part that I need help on...

Production Computer... so I've been tooling around with JACK and Ardour
and MusE (not to be confused with MuSE) and other JACK apps and its all
really cool and exciting. I never got the sound input to even really
work in linux until a couple weeks ago. Yay for the 2.6.8+ kernels. So
here are my thoughts on setting up a workstation, and I don't even know
if this is possible, but that's why I'm mailing you guys. One department
has kindly donated a brand new Dell Poweredge Dual Xeon 2.4 ghz somethin
or other. The rest of our computers are from the university junkyard of
midgrade PowerPC G4s and Pentium 3s. So the Poweredge is our gem
computer out of all the other crappy computers. Is there any way for me
to set up the speedy new poweredge as some kind of audio production
renderfarm, and get the PPCs and the Pentium 3s to connect to it as
production terminals? Cause, although multi-tracking on the G4s and
Pentium 3s is possible, doing extensive work with FX plugins is probably
out of the question.

See what I'm getting at? Also, the Poweredge also has about a 500gb raid
system with it, which would be nice to use for storing our audio on and
maybe even using as our digital archive as well, but that might be
pushing it if we are doing audio production work on it as well? I'd
imagine this might be the case, but I don't see why ftping flac files on
a local network would be too much of a burden on the raid drive or dual
processors. Another reason why it would be nice to be able to connect to
a poweredge remotely to do audio work, is that it the poweredge makes
about as much noise as a 747. So... its not exactly an audio production
friendly unit.

So these are my thoughts. Am I crazy... or is there some magical way to
make this happen?

- Ben Racher
bracher at iupui.edu