[linux-audio-user] Re: Anyone interested in helping with melotron

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Sat Mar 12 08:45:30 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar, 2005 at 12:56PM +0000, tim hall spake thus:
> Last Friday 11 March 2005 12:15, james at dis-dot-dat.net was like:
>
> > Original pitch and pitch correction are more awkward - numbers for
> > pitch aren't great.  Can we agree on a format for this?  Like C-1 for
> > first octave C, etc.
>
> > Pitch correction I think is in semitones - if not, I think we should
> > convert it to that and back again so the user can work with a musical
> > abstraction rather than anything more low level.
>
> Would access to a lower level abstraction be useful to microtonal musicians or
> would this be entirely in the realm of getting fluidsynth to deal with scala
> files or nasty pitch-bend hacks in MIDI? (which is probably out of scope for
> this discussion)

Whatever the soundfont format specifies, that's what we'll be working
in.  There's nothing to be done creatively at this point.

Looking closer at the specs (now I have it converted to text for easy
grepping) the pitch correction is in cents - 1/100 of a semitone.  So
there's plenty of accuracy there.

> > Oh, and I've only just noticed that we're using the LAU list and
> > probably ought to move either to the LAD list or a separate one
> > altogether of we're going to keep up this volume - awkward choice
> > because more eyes means more input, but also more annoyance for
> > uninterested readers.  Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Personally, I'm not on LAD and I'd like to keep track of this discussion, that
> said, I'm probably not going to contribute much to the process until you and
> the other coders have something that actually needs testing. I can always
> check the archives.

Well, it might as well stay here for now - we seem to be getting lots
of input and it would be a shame to lose that.

> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)