[linux-audio-user] ANN: DVD-Audio authoring tool

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Tue Mar 15 18:24:25 EST 2005

> Using a cross platform toolkit often guarantees your app
> will look like crap on every platform.  For example, here's
> Audacity on my system:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/~rlrevell/audacity.png
>
> It looks horrible compared to my Gnome apps.  Especially
> the fonts.

I'm currently reading a lot about usability issues; this one
is one of them.

The user may expect all apps of his platform to behave the
same.

But how to solve this? Even as we're on Linux and we have lots
of choices within one system?

On Win or Mac the OS always looks the same. You demand that
every cross platform application should use the toolkit of
the target platforms. A good idea. But this needs to make
many many bindings for an GUI application - lots of work only
for the reason to make it behave as the user expects.

This also means: if anyone does a Linux application, he should
enable his application for all GUI toolkits currently known
on Linux. We all know that this causes lots of additional
work.

So, any recommendation for (not only) the audacity project?

 Best regards

    ce