[linux-audio-user] ANN: DVD-Audio authoring tool

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Mar 16 13:58:25 EST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 18:24, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> This also means: if anyone does a Linux application, he should
> enable his application for all GUI toolkits currently known
> on Linux. We all know that this causes lots of additional
> work.

No, I think just using one of the two most popular toolkits (Gtk or
Qt) is enough.  Both of those have Windows bindings and at least Qt
has a native (non-X) Mac binding as well.  And since they receive the
most developer focus of the various toolkits, they set an
appearance/usability standard that other toolkits (like wx, fltk,
motif, tk, etc.) often can't match, even when (like wx) they use Gtk
as a back end on Linux hosts.  I suspect an Audacity built against a
more recent wxWidgets would look nicer, though.

In this case, Lee is really talking about the lack of anti-aliasing on
the fonts, though I could easily imagine other GNOME or KDE users
complaining that these apps that use less common toolkits don't abide
by their choice of desktop theme.

Anyway, at least wx-based apps aren't openly modern-desktop-hostile
like, say, cinelerra or snd.

Rob