[linux-audio-user] OT / RE: poor man's copyright

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Fri Mar 18 14:36:17 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar, 2005 at 01:34PM -0500, Dan Easley spake thus:

> the mailing something to yourself to prove creation date technique, or "poor
> man's copyright", seems to have, at least in most Berne Convention countries,
> very little purpose.
>
> see http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/ for a fair
> elaboration.  of course, different rules for different countries.

Probably the best way to be able to prove authorship is to keep a
deconstructed version - separate tracks, if that's how you work, or
the file format for whatever you use (Muse, a tracker, etc.)

It's still not 100% proof, but the difficulty in recreating a track
will help.  The other party won't be able to show this.

Perhaps we could do with some kind of trusted third party - someone
that keeps dates, hashes, filenames and author names in case proof is
needed later.  I don't know how this would work legally, but surely if
there is no association between the author and the service provider,
then it's another good piece of evidence.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)