[linux-audio-user] Filling in some holes in my largely limited linux and audio knowledge

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:18:31 EST 2005

Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> Quoting thewade <pdman at aproximation.org>:
>

>>Before you publish a track, either on CD or on the net, how do you
>>insure someone else wont put their name on your track and take credit
>>for it?
>

> There is a quite low-tech much used technique for this. Make a demo of the
> song, or the whole song on a CD/cassette/anything. Put it in an envelope
> with a written, signed and timestamped letter explaining the contents (and
> maybe a usage license like creative commons). Seal the envelope so that
> opening it would break the seal. Then mail the envelope to yourself,
> preferably via certified mail.
>
> Last, and the most important step, is to not open the letter after you
> receive it.
>
> In case of someone stealing your song, open the letter in court, or with a
> clerk, notary etc. present who then can prove that the package wasn't opened
> earlier and what the package contained and when the package was sealed.
>
> This method is known in the popular music industry for having proof of when
> you have made the song.
>
> (just remember to get all the details right, I might have left something
> important out)
>
>   Sampo

Just FYI, this will not stand up in court. This topic came up in my
media law studies, and there are specific court cases where this
technique has been thrown out.

There's this cool little thing called copyright. I would recommend using
it. Technically there is a common law copyright where everything is
copyrighted as soon as you create it, and this DOES stand up in court.
It does help to actually have a formal copyright though where you can
reference an ID# for your work.

-Reuben