[linux-audio-user] hey big buddy; got your ogg ears up?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 21:40:22 EST 2005

Hey,

One of my clients, Heath from St. Louis MI. USA, and I
have just completed a realtime mixing session over the
internet. He mailed me a HDD with 12 songs that need
to be mixed and mastered. I live a couple states North
in Minneapolis, MN where my business partners and I
have been running our commercial recording studio for
20 years.

Heath was in a motel room in Boston, Massachusetts
listening to a live Ogg Vorbis stream from the stereo
master output of my mixing consol on a Windows laptop
using Winamp. Here's a short snippet from our
conversation:
<heath> yeah.  can i hear the back vox up a little
more?
<rparker> sure
<heath> going into the solo the lead gtr can probably
come through more still.  unless you think it crowds
it
<rparker> one sec
<heath> i'm happy with the vox

This is a JACKD, Ardour session using Icecast and the
oddcastv3-jack module to realtime stream the session
onto the internet over a DSL connection. When Heath
requests a change, I make the mix moves, he hears the
results and confirms whether or not they are
acceptable. We're using IRC for the live chat.

This is a commercial session and Heath is paying me to
work on his band's music. Technical problems or
excuses of any kind are unaccpetable. On the server
side, at the studio, the setup is peforming rock solid
without any technical problems.

I don't know about anyone else but for an old dawg
like me Linux Audio is great stuff. A big thank you to
the developers and users.

Ron Parker
Mirror Image Studios
2428 Dupont Ave. S.