[linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Mar 19 00:49:59 EST 2005

Rob wrote:

>On Friday 18 March 2005 16:59, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>

>>That is my impression as well. But, how to convince management that
>>the current most popular solution is not the best thing for the
>>organization to roll out just because it's what has made the first
>>big splash in the general population ....
>>

>Well, you could take the high road....
>
>"Skype might be popular, but it's not a standard and it's not free
>software.  Sure, you don't have to pay for it now, but it could be
>they'll start putting more and more obtrusive ads in it or charging
>per seat or per minute for business users.  We would have no control
>over any of that."
>
>Or you could take the FUD road.
>
>"Skype?  Didn't you know it's from the guys who wrote Kazaa?  I sure
>hope you're putting more money in the budget for virus cleaning and
>intrusion recovery.  Not to mention angry users."

Point of fact, as I have been told from a senior VP, it is in fact
written by the guys who started Napster. Skype uses our backbone for its
bandwidth.

Not sure where all the "land mines" are...  It's free! All they want to
charge for is calls terminating on the PSTN. No, it's not open
source....but as I recall, that didn t matter when it was being tested
for Jamming / collaborating across the net?  Many still use windows
don't they??

And when its all said and done...do we really care *that* much here?  If
the app doesnt do what u want it to do....don't use it. If it does and
they want bux...oh well. You have a choice.