[linux-audio-user] hey big buddy; got your ogg ears up?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 10:00:11 EST 2005

Hi Joe,

--- Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:40:22 -0800 (PST)
> R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Heath was in a motel room in Boston, Massachusetts
> > listening to a live Ogg Vorbis stream from the
> stereo
> > master output of my mixing consol on a Windows
> laptop
> > using Winamp.
>
> !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> That's excellent.
>
> What sort of bandwith was used for this?

I've got a 512 DSL. Heath was on a lan line and stated
that the hotel probably had t1 bandwidth. I don't
really know but would guess the hotel uses a DSL line.

I've tested with a couple other people where they had
cable and another DSL. In both cases the performance
is  excellent. I think the server is running at '-q 0'
which is the lowest quality but Heath stated that it
sounded real good.

Oh, and one of my roommates was streaming semipro
hockey over the line while we running our studio
session. Not bad!

I'll be doing some tracking work with my studio
partner Dana. He's on a cable modem. He can stream a
sequence which I can then overdub drums to or vice
versa. I suppose we could put several streams into a
series. Afterwards we can use SEX to update our Ardour
snapshots with the .wav files.

This isn't exactly what's been discussed here in the
last week but I suppose it's proof of concept. And if
it isn't good enough we're all free to purchase that
$1,500.00 ProFools module that does the same thing. :)

ron