[linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sat Mar 19 10:36:33 EST 2005

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie at rfa.org> writes:

> what free software alternatives are available.

SIP:
http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipXphone/ (never really played with it)
http://www.wirlab.net/kphone/ (use it sometimes, making calls through asterisk)
http://www.gnophone.com/ (devel seized)

IAX:
http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/ (use sometimes; calls through asterisk or p2p)

H.323
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

Also take a look at http://voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones and
generally on http://voip-info.org

There are many trying to lure you;). Always locate the license and
make sure it has p2p calls. I don't know of a list of libre software
voip phones and since voip-info wiki is not publicly editable, it's
such a hassle to make one.

It's maybe preferable to have an account with a SIP provider. Then you
would have the number like sip:sip-provider.void/your-username or if
dialed from a POTS telephone, maybe 1-800-CALL-ME-TOTO. You would
then use your account your-username at sip-provider.void to register using
your softphone enabling you to make and break calls from and to
anywhere in the world.

I currently have an asterisk box reachable through my FQDN at
sip:esben-stien.name - this translates to sip:esben-stien.name/s as s
is the default extension; it reaches the main menu system. You could
also call sip:esben-stien.name/777 to directly call the
my_house_built_on_stilts hotline. Please call me sometime and we can
test your setup. I test a lot at the moment so please try again if you
can't reach me.

Asterisk, http://asterisk.org is a software PBX, supporting the major
SIP (and H.323) plus some other protocols, like IAX. It has an
interactive interface allowing you to make and break calls over any
protocol that asterisk supports.

I've never played with sipXphone, but a little with kphone

I use asterisk (SIP/IAX) myself for dialing since there is no proper
client, but I have many friends that still use windows. I give them
iaxcomm. I've had great deals of problems and still have with some
users. I'm currently doing heavy testing to have a stable SIP and IAX
solution.

What I really need is a client daemon hooked up to jack that I can
interface to with a non-interactive interface or an interactive
ncurses app (and maybe a graphical gtk+ frontend for some eyecandy).

It would also be nice to have a sip softphone on my web page. I took a
look at mozphone, but have not played with it yet.

Proprietary software is not an option.

Esben Stien is b0ef at esben-stien.name
http://www.esben-stien.name
irc://irc.esben-stien.name/%23contact