[linux-audio-user] Safest way to change primary soundcard

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Sat Mar 19 13:00:09 EST 2005

Arnold Krille <arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Saturday 19 March 2005 02:17, Esa Linna wrote:
> > I have now two soundcards in my machine:
> > integrated VIA 686 soundcard (default) and SB Audigy 2
> > Which is the safest and trustworthy way to change Audigy as primary
> > card? Or then, "removing" the integrated card since I don't need it?
>
> Add the following to your .asoundrc:
>
> pcm.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }
>
> and for every newly started app, hw:1 will be the default card used...

On the other hand, if you know that you will not want to use the via
ingrated audio, you should normally be able to disable it in the BIOS
(usually in the 'integrated peripherals' sectio IIRC).  And so your SB
card will become the first and default card.  You may still have
to adjust the modules.conf or similar.  Perhaps running alsaconf
should do the trick.

./MiS