[linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Mar 19 12:20:32 EST 2005

Rob wrote:

>On Saturday 19 March 2005 00:49, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>

>>Point of fact, as I have been told from a senior VP, it is in fact
>>written by the guys who started Napster. Skype uses our backbone
>>for its bandwidth.
>>

>He was incorrect. "Skype was created by Niklas Zennström and Janus
>Friis, founders of KaZaA", says Skype themselves.
>
>http://www.skype.com/company/founders.html

I subsequently stand corrected.

>>Not sure where all the "land mines" are...  It's free!
>>

>It's not free software.  SIP clients like linphone and PhoneGaim are.

We have a different definition of "Free" I downloaded both Linux and
Winblows versions of this client app. Didnt pay anything for them. Can
call other PC's with Skype for nothing all day long.

>>All they
>>want to charge for is calls terminating on the PSTN.
>>

>All they want to do is own the VOIP market.  It seems disingenuous to
>pretend otherwise.

Trust me...this ~IS~ virtually impossible. My companies current business
model depends on it. Far too many Big Billion dollar investements been
made in VOIP starting late 2003 to current day by all the big players.

>>No, it's not
>>open source....but as I recall, that didn t matter when it was
>>being tested for Jamming / collaborating across the net?  Many
>>still use windows don't they??
>>

>I don't use Windows, and I haven't heard anything about jamming over
>the net with or without free software.  Playing live isn't something
>I'm interested in or would pay attention to, though I hope to come up
>with a nice web-based collaboration tool eventually.

Collaborating with Skype was what started this thread.

>>And when its all said and done...do we really care *that* much
>>here?  If the app doesnt do what u want it to do....don't use it.
>>If it does and they want bux...oh well. You have a choice.
>>

>Sure I do.  I have another choice, too: whether or not to encourage
>the use of free software over shady, secretive proprietary software.
>I'm exercising that choice here.  If enough people use proprietary
>software, eventually (as was the case in the desktop OS market until
>recently) there will effectively be no choice.  Surely even "u" can
>see that.
>
>Rob

To each their own. I guess my point is sometimes we get so very far from
the *audio on linux* topic base.

Cheers,
R~