[linux-audio-user] alsa hdsp and oss emulation

Thomas Charbonnel thomas at undata.org
Sun Mar 20 05:13:54 EST 2005

> Dear list,
>
> this is a bit complicated, due to big/little endian issues, perhaps. I
> am trying to load the firmware into my hdsp pcmcia card.
>
> I am getting the fifo timeout:
>
> peter:~# hdsploader
> hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
> Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
> Card 0 : PowerMac Screamer Rev 0
> Card 1 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0xf3000000, irq 58
> Upload firmware for card hw:1
> Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:1 : Input/output error.
>
> I am using debian testing, running a 2.6.8 kernel with manually compiled
>  1.0.8 alsa drivers on a G3 powerpc laptop.
>
> cardbus version is 11 (rev 0b)
>
> the card is loadable out of osx.
>
> i am stuck here, and don't know what to do now.
>
> any suggestions are very welcome!
>
> thanks,
> Peter

Hi Peter,

>From 1.0.8 on, the new method for uploading the firmare is through hotplug
and the kernel generic firmware loading mechanism (if compiled in). You
shouldn't have to use hdsploader anymore. Anyway you should definitely use
CVS or the 1.0.9 RCs, as there were significant problems with the hdsp
driver in 1.0.8 that have been fixed since then (firmware loading,
endianness issues, metering).

Thomas