[linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

tommy illth at gmx.de
Sun Mar 20 18:37:09 EST 2005

Shayne O'Connor schrieb:

>Hans Fugal wrote:

>>>Their protocol has the advantage that it works very well even
>>>on low bandwith connections.
>>>

>>I may be off-base here, but as I understand it the bulk of the
>>transmission of any VOIP transmission is the audio data itself. In that
>>case, what matters is the codec. I don't remember the name of it, but I
>>do know that asterisk supports the same codec that skype uses. So
>>asterisk doesn't (yet?) support the skype protocol, but it should be
>>able to sound just as good over the same bandwidth (perhaps even better,
>>since IAX is a good and lean protocol).
>>

>i may be off-base here as well, and i'm sure that the codec has a lot to
>do with it, but i was under the impression that Skype works as well as
>it does because it is based on P2P technology that distributes the
>network load amongst the clients?

but i think that SIP also does use p2p connection from client to client,
at least if that is possible. one example of that not being possible is
when both clients are behind some kind of NAT (that is called "router"
most often), without support of upnp or similar.

skype will use some (non-NATed) users as servers to connect this two
clients together, without the need for some dedicated gateway servers
(that cost bandwith).

>if that is the case, or if it is at least a part of the case, i was
>wondering if an open-source alternative could build itself from a
>BitTorrent base where once you are connected you are providing a small
>amount of bandwidth to the general pool?

This would mean that we must only find some way to
connect two nat'ed users together ...