[linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Mar 21 12:46:58 EST 2005

micromoog <micromoog at cox.net> writes:

> I'm considering buying an AMD64 computer.  Does anyone have any
> comments on using Linux audio apps on the AMD64?  I would want to use
> JACK, MusE, ams, and lots more.

Very nice machine.

If you have less than 3GB of real memory, you might as well run it in
32-bit mode (i386).  There should be no problems.

64-bit mode (x86_64) should work for most things.  I haven't tried it
myself, but you will probably see a few problems here and there.

JACK supports both i386 and x86_64, but not connecting both 32 and
64-bit clients in a single server session.  That won't happen any time
soon.  You might need a recent CVS version for x86_64, to pick up a
bug fix for some bogus compiler optimization options.
--
  joq