[linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Mon Mar 21 13:41:41 EST 2005

> I have an amd64 running in 64 bit mode.  There honestly isn't much
> reason to get a 64 if you are going to run in 32 bit mode...They are
> way more expensive than the 32 bit counterparts and don't offer enough
> extra in 32 bit mode.

FWIW, I strongly disagree. You get much better performance per clock on a
64-bit machine even when running in 32-bit simply due to chip architecture
improvements including SSE2 among other things, and the price should not be
that different when compared with the 32-bit offering (as long as you don't
go for the FX stuff). Also, heat dissipation as well as battery life (if
considering laptop) is definitely a plus when compared with Pentium4
offering. Pentium-M processors are also nice but also generally more
expensive.

I've been using the eMachines (now Gateway) M68xxx series with 32-bit Linux
and have practically abandoned using my desktop altogether.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/