[linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

Jeremiah Benham jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com
Mon Mar 21 23:10:45 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:36:48AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Not really.  You usually solve this issue by either creating a 64-bit
> chroot in a 32-bit base system or a 32-bit chroot in a 64-bit base
> system.  These chroots can be very useful since some apps just don't
> work in 64-bit mode yet.  We are using this method at work to make
> 32-bit commercial apps run on our 64-bit x84_64 machines, and it
> works very well.  I wouldn't call it confusing.  Its actually very logical
> as soon as you start to grasp the chroot concept.

How do most of these audio applications behave in 64bit mode? If you
have applications that are running in a 32bit chroot can they
communicate with other applications in 64bit mode? Lets say you have
jackd and rosegarden running in 64bit mode. Can I connect to lets say
Fluidsynth or ZynaddSubFX in a 32bit chroot?

I also wonder about price/performance ratio and ease of administration.
Ignoring the fact that it make take a little extra work to get
everything to run smoothly do you find that the performace is worth the
price of x86-64 compared to say athlon xp? Is there a big boost in
performance in most audio applications. I most frequently use csound,
rosegarden, Fluidsynth, Lilypond, and audacity.

Thanks,
Jeremiah