[linux-audio-user] Vinyl records and tape cassettes

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Mar 22 12:07:22 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 01:27, Bengt Gördén wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bunch of old vinyl (and even those before these) records
> and some old tape cassette that I would like to record and put on CD
> or in a non destructive format like FLAC. I've scanned (not thoroughly
> I must admit) the net to see if there is a tool for this. I think that
> it would be possible to use ardour, ecasound, audacity or similar. I
> found a tool that is called PhonoRipper:
>
> http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/phonoripper/phonoripper.html
>
> The author says that it isn't good with ALSA so I rather prefer
> something else. But I'll give it a try anyway.
>
> If anyone has an suggestion how to use ardour, ecasound, audacity or
> similar I would appreciate that.
>
> I'm not sure how to do the converting. Could this be a way?
>
> sample the vinyl/tape
> spilt into different tracks
> try to remove noise and such
> maybe normalize?
> and maybe jamin?
> convert to FLAC

   I'm doing this at present with a lot of my albums.  I run my stereo
out into Ardour, export to .wav, run Gnome Wave Cleaner, use audacity to
split the tracks and deal with anything that GWC didn't handle.  My
advice would be to not use JAMin unless you're really interested in
re-mastering the tracks.  I use "normalize" with the --peak option.
That way I haven't messed with the dynamics of the piece other than to
raise the volume to whatever the max value was.

Jan