[linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Tue Mar 22 12:10:06 EST 2005

Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> Do you have any experience of AMD64 in 32bit mode? Do you still get all
> the instruction set goodness? I've been considering one of these when I
> get round to upgrading my studio machine, and clearly 32bit mode will be
> less memory bound, so faster in general, but I'm not sure if you loose any
> of the other benefits.

I recently got a new AMD64 3000+ (90nm) machine, which I am running
(so far) in 32bit mode.  Not a lot of mileage on it yet.  But, it runs
fast and is much quieter than my older 1800+ XP system.  I like it.  :-)

I'll probably experiment some with 64bit mode later on, mainly for
software developement and testing.  It's only got 1GB of main memory
right now, so I see no compelling need for bigger pointers.
--
  joq