[linux-audio-user] Re: Net jamming

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Mar 22 18:23:37 EST 2005

Hi jp, Shayne, Jorge, Jesse

the Jam Room is actually about sharing and collaborating and
improvising, right?  Much more a social act than a technical one.  I
guess it's not the application that matters but the get together, the
surprises in that, the laughter and joy.  We could do this with ftp and
irc, right?  So I think nothing is gonna happen just because of one
app.  It's going to happen because we want to make music together.  If
we want that.

Accessible and beautiful instruments like Freewheeling and SooperLooper
make this easier, in the best case very direct.

I think the ideas of previewing a jam room, selecting loops from a pool
of contributions, the musical quantum field, Jesse's notion of the
metadata etc. are fascinating.  Hm, endless possibilities.  I used to
think "'endless' is good".  Nowadays I think "'endless' is difficult".
Playing with Ardour and with Freewheeling for some weeks now I've come
to appreciate the limitations of those instruments.  It makes you
"commit" (the lack of MIDI tracks in Ardour that is) instead of
deciding later.  It makes you get into downbeat tapping and into
getting it right and good :)  Ardour changed my music a lot.  And
Freewheeling has become a constant source of joy and fun.

Ehm, all I'm trying to say really is that if I was asked how complex and
capable the Jam Room should be I'd be happy with a very simple
infrastructure to shake out one big net jam at a time -- as a starting
point.  We can go places from there on, can't we?  Can't wait ...

Be good wherever you are, Wolfgang