[linux-audio-user] Jack problem: crackling sound

Kevin Ernste kevinernste at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:50:46 EST 2005

I'm not sure this is just an Audigy issue.

I see/hear this issue all the time lately with my HDSP multiface and
on another machine at school with a Delta 1010.  I would describe it
as more of a comb-filtered sound but as Julien mentioned it does not
show up in a recording.   JACK itself seems to be feeding the audio
just fine internally, but the alsa outputs are monitoring these
artifacts/coloring.  Reseting the server clears it.

It often happens when I connect or disconnect a client, but it can
also simply appear when connected for longer stretches.  When this
happens the JACK session shows no xruns and it doesn't seem/sound
related to sampling rate or even system load.   I can be playing a
stereo file with ecasound or feeding a complex mulitchannel Ardour
session though JAMin...and it happens on a PIII I have at home and the
Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM at school (both highly tuned PlanetCCRMA
boxen).

Kevin