[linux-audio-user] Jamin compressor vs LADSPA SC

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Mar 27 19:05:14 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 17:38, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 03:07:57PM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Jan. I'm a bit confused though, on the Jamin site I
> > believe you mention that you will be releasing API details soon. Does
> > that mean an API is in the works but not made yet?
> >
> > I can understand why it wouldn't be a top priority, but I would think a
> > way to hook Jamin up to generic hardware control systems ( midi boxes,
> > etc ) would be quite a useful addition. An API giving access to the
> > various input controls and output display would make such an extension
> > pretty easy.
>
> The design should make it pretty easy to add OSC control of all the
> paramaters, but its not done yet. I think its on the TODO list. I,
> personally, am not wildly enthusaistic about adding native MIDI control to
> jamin, but a MIDI->OSC bridge that controls it is OK.

    Steve, if you'll give me some pointers on how to add OSC control for
a parameter I can take a shot at implementing it.  I've got a pretty
good handle on how to control all of the parameters I'm just not that
familiar with OSC.  I also don't think we should add MIDI control.  If
we have OSC for all the parameters it can be done externally.

> The compressors are just SC4's, so if that all you need you could use
> something like AMS + meterbridge (or jack-rack if you dont need the
> crossover) and use MIDI to control that. AMS makes it easy to bind MIDI
> CC's to LADSPA controls.

    You'd have to band-limit prior to compressing to get the same effect
wouldn't you?

Jan