[linux-audio-user] Anyone using a 64 bit distribution?

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Mon Mar 28 21:39:50 EST 2005

Noah Roberts wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:29:17 -0500, aljordan at maine.rr.com
><aljordan at maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I upgraded my chip and motherboard to an AMD 64 based system.  I\'ve installed Fedora Core 3 x86_64 but it seems that I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get audio apps to compile that I didn\'t have to go through on the FC3 32 bit distribution.  I\'ve decided to give up and try another release after the troubles I am facing compiling Rosegarden.
>>
>>Is anyone using a 64 bit distribution that they are happy with?  If not, is there a particularly good standard distribution that people are using for DAW apps?  I will be using mostly sequencing, softsynths,  and mixdown apps such as Rosegarden, Swami, and QSynth.
>>
>>I need to stay with the 2.6 kernel for hardware support.
>

>Gentoo seems to work very well.  A lot of the audio apps get a bit
>buggy.  Not sure if this is caused by 64 bit incompatabilities or not.

I am running Fedora Core 3 test 1 on my x86_64, but I use the standard
2.6.10 kernel with the lsm patch. Hammerfall hdsp works well (except
the hdsp_mixer shows bad levels, but i only use that to unmute the
card so I dont care about that). It works well for me, except the
recent crashes which are weird. I dont even know what I changed,
becasue before last week my machine was running fine...

-thewade