[linux-audio-user] repost:

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 10:38:01 EST 2005

--- Esa Linna <esa.linna at kolumbus.fi> wrote:

> > Lähettäjä: David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il>
> > Päiväys: 2005/03/29 ti AM 10:29:29 GMT+03:00
> > Vastaanottaja: linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu
> > Aihe: Re: [linux-audio-user] repost:
> > 	 curious about jamin feedback
> >
> > On Tuesday 29 March 2005 02:09,
> linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
> > wrote:
> > > Hello all - was just now reading some discussion
> about Jamin - was just
> > > wondering, how are people responding to Jamin?
> are they liking it?  are
> > > people liking the way it sounds?  getting good
> results?  complaining?
> > > raving?
> >
> > Intriguing program but its multiprocess paradigm
> (this is not a file-file or
> > file-playback filter, one must play something,
> jack it into jamin) it too
> > much a cpu hawg for my old clunker :-)
> >

> David, I am not sure if you meant this, but I also
> would like to see an option, where you could open
> the (.wav, .au etc.) file directly to Jamin and
> start mastering - like in T-RackS, for example - and
> save it to other file.

It's not a bad idea but there are additional
challanges that need to be handled...fades, timing
between songs and playlists are a few examples.
T-Racks doesn't come close to having an interface that
satisfies my mastering needs. The other side of the
task is authoring to CD or DVD.

I don't think any of that is a trivial set of
interfaces to design or code. And that's probably the
reason nobody has done it. Ardour does handle some of
the tasks already, the interfaces are far from
complete, and I believe it will eventually handle all
our authoring needs.

ron