[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 18, Issue 107

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 30 12:40:45 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 11:33 -0500,
linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
> And what problem does six parametric bands solve
> during mastering? Same qustion for more compression
> bands. If your audio is so screwed up to require that
> type of toolset then shit can it and start over.
> Seriously, you don't have a mastering problem you have
> recording and mixing problems.
>
> Please sexcuse me but I feel forced to ask, why not
> put a dork port on JAMin so I can stop spending my
> money in cat houses?
>
> ron

The TC Mastering 6000 has five bands of dynamics, L3 multimaximizer has
five, Waves C4 has four, Izotope Ozone has four.

Having four can be kinda handy when you want to carve out some space to
bring things like vocals forward a little. Especially when mastering in
sections, when differently treated masters  of the same song will be
edited together afterwards. (Yes it's turd polishing, but you don't
always get to choose what you work with, do you?)

Three bands of dynamics does fine though, and I'd rather have someone
with a good set of ears using Jamin than some idiot squarewaving the lot
with a tc M6000. Quality of the software is not a problem here.

As far as more bands of parametric eq goes, if you need more, most
plugins will do, I'd just chain them in Linux like anywhere else.
If I'm using loads of bands of parametric when mastering, it's so I can
turn different ones on and off to see what works. The scene thing in
Jamin does the same thing. If there is anything really nasty, the
graphic eq is perhaps a better place to notch it out.

Anyway, is a 'dork port' on the Jamin roadmap? :)