[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 18, Issue 107

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 05:12:21 EST 2005

--- philicorda <philicorda at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 11:33 -0500,
> linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
> > And what problem does six parametric bands solve
> > during mastering? Same qustion for more
> compression
> > bands. If your audio is so screwed up to require
> that
> > type of toolset then shit can it and start over.
> > Seriously, you don't have a mastering problem you
> have
> > recording and mixing problems.
> >
> > Please sexcuse me but I feel forced to ask, why
> not
> > put a dork port on JAMin so I can stop spending my
> > money in cat houses?
> >
> > ron
>
> The TC Mastering 6000 has five bands of dynamics, L3
> multimaximizer has
> five, Waves C4 has four, Izotope Ozone has four.
>
> Having four can be kinda handy when you want to
> carve out some space to
> bring things like vocals forward a little.
> Especially when mastering in
> sections, when differently treated masters  of the
> same song will be
> edited together afterwards. (Yes it's turd
> polishing, but you don't
> always get to choose what you work with, do you?)

Very cool strategy. I love it. Virtual hugs dude! I
probably started mastering in 2002. Most of what I do
is my own work which tends to be very easy to deal
with.

The documents I've been writing focus on controling
loudness. I'm going to keep that slant going but it's
obvious that fixing audio is an interesting topic.
Probably one that I don't know much about. If you've
ever want me to document one of your jobs that
requires interesting strategies tar it up. I'm game.

> Three bands of dynamics does fine though, and I'd
> rather have someone
> with a good set of ears using Jamin than some idiot
> squarewaving the lot
> with a tc M6000. Quality of the software is not a
> problem here.
>
> As far as more bands of parametric eq goes, if you
> need more, most
> plugins will do, I'd just chain them in Linux like
> anywhere else.
> If I'm using loads of bands of parametric when
> mastering, it's so I can
> turn different ones on and off to see what works.
> The scene thing in
> Jamin does the same thing. If there is anything
> really nasty, the
> graphic eq is perhaps a better place to notch it
> out.
>
> Anyway, is a 'dork port' on the Jamin roadmap? :)

I definitely don't have a life so I'll place an order
for the industrial port.

ron