[linux-audio-user] Removing voice

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 30 15:10:27 EST 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 21:41, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Anyone know of a good filter I can use to remove voice?  I've got some flac
> files that I'd like to filter to remove voice and burn for my kids to
> sing with.
> I tried using sox:
>     sox in.wav out.wav band <center>
> But I can't find a good setting for <center> that works anywhere as
> well as xmms's Voice Removal or DeFX plugins.
> I'm looking for something like sox -- trying to avoid snd or audacity
> just to make converting a lot of files easier.  Plus, I tried Steve
> Harris' LADSPA Karaoke plugin and it doesn't seem to work quite as
> well as the ones in xmms.  Subjective, of course.

These voice-removal-plugins are afaik all the same algorithm. and this works
on some songs but not on all. And from my experience most times it works it
also removes the bass. Only exception is the Voice-Removal for aRts shipped
in kdemultimedia where the normal algorithm is combined with a Xover filter
so the bass isn't affected by the removal. Which work better but again not on
all songs...

So it might be that you got songs where this doesn't work...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe