[linux-audio-user] Re: sharing tracks with bittorrent?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Mar 31 10:13:10 EST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 00:26, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: "Shayne O'Connor" <forums at machinehasnoagenda.com>
> >the thing is, i haven't got that much space on my server, and it seems a
> >bit of a waste to take all the time to upload it there (i only have an
> >upload speed of, like, 7k/b or something) when i could just share it
> >directly in the superb way that bittorrent does.
>
> What is wrong with http or ftp?

Every item downloaded is traffic coming directly from
that single server... multiply that by perhaps dozens at
the same time and any individual users home adsl link will
be saturated and useless to all involved. OTOH a bittorent
seeded from even an adsl link can be the source of a much
larger distributed feed... in fact the more popular an
item being fetched is the more distributed the content
ends up becoming.

--markc