[linux-audio-user] kernel upgrade issues

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Sat May 7 23:29:07 EDT 2005

On 5/7/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 18:27 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you make sure the new kernel has msdos and vfat support compiled in?
> >
> > Of course not.  I made modules and loaded them.
> >

> OK.  What exactly are the symptoms when you go to mount the thumb drive?
>
> Apparently there was an issue with some partition types not being
> recognized, that should be fixed for 2.6.12.  But that should not
> prevent you from mounting msdos & vfat partitions.

I get one of these:

root at bart nroberts # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

Same if I say -t vfat or -t fat.  This happens even if I format from
linux with mkfs.msdos.  I only get it with fat systems so far.  Like
if I format with mke2fs I can mount just fine.

Jack has become pretty unusable also.  Just playing an mp3 from xmms
cuts out 2-3 times a second.  I am going to try loosing the kernel
preemption and see if that helps.

On a better note though, my DVD burner works now...woohoo. It didn't before.

This is an AMD64 BTW.