[linux-audio-user] Re: [ANN] Linux Musicians Wiki

jmstone at dsl.pipex.com jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Wed May 11 10:00:36 EDT 2005

Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>well, musicians might use code, but they don't produce it - so i think
>>"free software musicians" isn't enought either ...
>>
>>what about something based on the cultural equivalant to the gnu license
>>- Creative Commons?
>>

> Uncommonly Creative Musicians ?  ;)
>
> Btw, I also take the stand of inclusion. If someone is using F/OSS on
> another OS they should still feel welcome.
>
> Unless of course the intent really is to focus solely upon Linux musicians.

I just wrote a really long follow up to this and managed to delete it
(grr.. not used to rtin!).

I think I should have planned my original proposal slightly better
(knowing what I know about the Linux community!).

I have moved the whole wiki to opensrc.org (now linked to
musicians.opensrc.org as open source musicians).

I have kept LinuxMusicians but rewritten it to be RMS friendly for all
you zealots (!), and it now links off the main open source musicians page
as a subheading (list by kernel!!). ;)

Please could people add their names to the list of musicians on
musicians.opensrc.org, link to your music, and describe as fully as
possible how the track(s) were made: what software, what samples, what
processing steps, what recording methods. I think to have this level
of detail about the production process is very useful to beginners
(and hopefully of interest to everyone else). It would be interesting,
for example, to see how many people are using jamin to master their
music.

However good or bad (or unfinished) your music, please take the time
to put something on the wiki about it and a link to your ogg/mp3 or
whatever. I think it is more about the process than the finished
product, but it is also nice to be able to hear what other people have
composed. So, swallow your fear, cross your fingers, and post your
music (it really can't be as bad as mine..  honest!).

Kudos to those who have already put pages up on the wiki.. looking
forward to seeing some more of you there!

All the best,

James