[linux-audio-user] New hardware choice

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Thu May 12 10:42:48 EDT 2005

On 5/12/05, Emiliano Grilli <emillo at libero.it> wrote:
> gioved?, 12 maggio 2005 alle 06:44:44, lanas ha scritto:
[SNIP]
> > Is a mixer needed ?
>
> IMHO yes, absolutely. Especially if you have external sources to record
> and route to the PC. You can find very cheap ones from behringer (under
> 100 eur). Also here the more you can afford (usually) the best it will
> sound, and the more channels/features it will have. Remember that you will
> get out of channels sooner or later ;) If you plan to use condenser
> microphones the mixer should provide phantom power. Another plus is the
> presence of channel inserts (or direct outs, but this is often found on
> not-so-small mixers only) and assignable submasters.
> Good mixer makers are soundcraft and makie.

I respectfully disagree here.  I prefer dedicated mic-pres over a
mixer.  I have a small Behringer mixer, but it's not flexible enough
to be useful.  I usually run two outputs of my Delta 66 to it and just
use it for monitoring.

> >   Which speakers system could deliver good sound quality.  I presently
> > have some Creative I-Trigue speakers and I'd hate doing any quality
> > stuff with it implying listening closely over and over again to
> > sequences and sounds.  Is it possible to connect regular sound system
> > quality speakers to PC sound cards ?  What speaker setup would you
> > recommend for driving both the external synth(s) and audio sound card ?

I can't afford proper monitors, so I run a stereo pair of line-outs
into the Tape-2 input on my Hi-Fi.  This works fine (but I have a nice
system: NAD C350 with Tannoy speakers).  You could use any input on a
stereo or A/V receiver except for phono.  You cna't directly connect
normal speakers because neither they nor the soundcard have an
amplifier.

Hope that helps...