[linux-audio-user] New hardware choice

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu May 12 12:10:35 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 06:44:44AM -0400, lanas wrote:
>   Which speakers system could deliver good sound quality.  I presently
> have some Creative I-Trigue speakers and I'd hate doing any quality
> stuff with it implying listening closely over and over again to
> sequences and sounds.  Is it possible to connect regular sound system
> quality speakers to PC sound cards ?

Yes, but you'll need an amplifier (or self-amplified speakers).

I'm a big fan of the PSB Alpha B home stereo speakers, I think
it's the best bargain around in bookshelf speakers.
If you dig around you can find them for under US $200 / pair, and at that
price they sound better than most studio monitors in the under-$1000 range.
(Of course you have to add the price of an amp too; I just use my old
home stereo amp.)

I wouldn't mind a pair of Mackie HR624's, I like how they sound
and they're probably more accurate, but those are $900 / pair and I've heard
rumours of reliability issues (it didn't help that when I went to check
them out, one of the demo units was broken).

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com