[linux-audio-user] Is there a way to compress the size of a wave file?

Ken Dawson / Chia Wu dawsonwu at rahul.net
Thu May 12 13:29:37 EDT 2005

I have been studying WAV files from various sources, and find that it is
possible to alter the sampling rate of the recording (i.e, instead of CD-quality
at 44.1K, I've seen 22050, and even 16K).  Mostly the sources I have seen in
this form have been spoken word -- radio programs, interviews, etc -- but the
results have been OK (obviously with expected loss in frequency range).
Combined with making the recording monaural, the WAV file size can be smaller.

/ken