[linux-audio-user] Re: New hardware choice

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Thu May 12 19:30:17 EDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:01:01 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:28:58PM -0400, matt at tinysongs.com wrote:
> > I think all monitors have thier quirks and
> > you have to know your speakers and how they sound.
>
> Yep, that's the important thing.

Thanks for all the replies !  I've just browsed quickly over them and
will take more time to actually read them this weekend.

About the speakers: yes, to know them.  But then, way back when I was
more into music and much less into computers I was used to having
Marshalls and the like. Amplifiers to which you connect your guitars,
and yet other amplifiers to which you connect your synths.  Since I"m
still planning to get "old fashioned" hardware MIDI synths modules
connected to the software sequencer I'll use (as opposed to using
Soundfonts or any software-based sound generation) I'll need also
amplification for these, an amplification that can balance nicely with
any computer-generated sound (using a good set of computer speakers).

By the way, when you record the output of external synths, can you
connect directly their outputs to any eventual computer input ?  If you
have three external synths, surely you need an external mixer, isn"t it
?  Or is there some other configuration nowadays ?  Or is it that you
have to mike the output of the synths' own amplifiers ?

Thanks again for comments/suggestiosn/hints !

Al